1.14.2008

Having no willpower really pays off
Usually I don't do New Year's resolutions. I can never keep them, so what’s the point? This year, however, Nick and I made a few resolutions on New Year's Eve because we were recovering from the flu and were hopped up on cold medicine, therefore not quite thinking clearly. By far the most difficult one to keep was to give up our beloved caffeine. Do you need to be reminded how much we are in love with Starbucks?

The first few days of being without caffeine, also known as detox, were pretty awful but we made it though. The following Sunday we broke down and went back. We agreed it would just be our little Sunday indulgence. I mean, at least we were going from seven days a week to just one, right? The next week we really started working hard on our house, one night painting until the wee hours of the morning. We were so tired the next day that we decided we deserved a latte.

And then over the weekend, we hit up good old Starbucks on Saturday AND Sunday, masking it again with the excuse that we needed it because we were spending the day working so hard around the house. I can now totally understand why alcoholics need something like AA to get them through their addiction, because when left to our own devices we cave in an instant.

This all brings us to this morning. We went to the kitchen on our way out the door to grab something for breakfast, but we haven't been grocery shopping in a while so we had nothing to eat. What were we to do?

I'll tell you what. Go to Starbucks where we could get a tasty liquid breakfast. This is where my story finally gets interesting.

As soon as we walked in the door, the manager told us that they were starting a new promotion today where they would feature a customer's drink on the board. All the baristas gathered around this morning trying to decide who they wanted to use, and they thought of us first. (Can you sense how proud I am?) Immediately someone whisked us away to take our picture, made us our drinks and gave us a special card. The card says that all this week when we go to Starbucks and order our featured drinks, we'll get them for free. The only thing missing was the ticker tape raining from the ceiling, and maybe a giant oversized cardboard check.

I'm left wondering if anyone will actually read our suggestions and there will be a spike in sales of grande nonfat extra-hot chai tea lattes with five pumps of chai and no water, or grande nonfat extra-hot mistos with four pumps of white mocha. We could become major celebrities among both the suburban yuppie and soccer mom audiences. Just think of the exposure.

Regardless, I guess I know where we'll be for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next seven days. As for our New Year's resolution, hey, at least we tried.

11 Comments:


Blogger Katelin said...

Oooh free Starbucks, that is definitely a plus. Congrats :)

Starbucks once gave me a free coffee because I had to wait a few minutes for the coffee to brew. This is about 10000000 times cooler.


Blogger Janet said...

okay, I don't even know what all that MEANS (pumps, haha) but it sounds too good to be true!!!


Blogger Unknown said...

Love Starbux... my particular favorite is white hot chocolate with a pump of peppermint and peppermint sprinkles. Merry January to you!!

xox


Blogger LaLa said...

Hmmm... I am not quite sure what those drinks even are... but they sound yum.

That was karma rewarding you for being so good for a few days...


Blogger Dawnie said...

That's awesome - you're famous! Clearly the universe wants you to have your Starbucks.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, this is why I always order hot chocolate if I'm forced to go to Starbucks - I can't figure out how to order anything else! And all their fake-o Italian-y size names confuse me. I'm just not cool enough. How do you even figure out that THAT is your drink?

But I do like my decaf orange tea in my travel mug. :)


Blogger L Sass said...

Every once in a while, I think about giving up caffeine... but I can't. I just can't.

I justify it by saying "Humans have been drinking coffee for hundreds of years!! It must be natural.

Either way, congrats on the good luck! Free Starbucks!! Woohoo!!


Blogger karmicbaloney said...

Congrats!

It's a sign that you shouldn't give up the coffee.

I'm partial to a grande, soy, no-whip zebra mocha myself.


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

During the holidays, I found myself with a pounding headache that wouldn't go away and I was acting like a real ass. I realized that we'd run out of regular coffee and I'd been drinking decaf. I've thought about quitting coffee before but I now know that it's totally not worth it.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

It goes to show you YOU JUST CAN'T WIN! lol Except you did win...how awesome. I don't get any of that coffee-ordering thing either...you had me until "pump"

Post a Comment

<< Home