12.24.2007

Who is this man I married?
Nick was lacing up some shoes yesterday while I was brushing my teeth, and instantly my mind set off a memory of how once, as a kid, I picked out hypercolor shoelaces at the dentist's office. We had a pretty rocking dentist because we used to get a brand-new toothbrush AND floss AND a treat out of this special drawer with each visit.

Oh yes, how I adored my hypercolor shoelaces. I remember they were bright neon orange and had white stripes that turned bluish/purpleish in sunlight. I'm sure I instantly laced up whatever shoes I had on with these obnoxious shoelaces, thinking I'd be the star of recess the next day. And sadly, I probably was. Who needs exercise when you can all stand around and watch someone's shoelaces turn colors?

With toothpaste spilling out of my mouth, I was sharing my silly little memory with Nick, and I instantly lost him at hypercolor. I had to finish brushing my teeth so that I could be appear overly shocked and dramatic about the whole thing. The poor guy somehow missed that whole trend in the 80s and 90s. No t-shirts? No fancy shorts? Not even any shoelaces, for God's sake? Nope, nope and nope.

Just when I think that after being together for over five years I know everything I can possibly know about Nick, he pulls out the old hypercolor-oblivion card. What's next, did he never have acid wash jeans? Has he even heard of parachute pants? Does he assume a Trapper Keeper is some sort of hunting device?

And I thought I knew him.

6 Comments:


Blogger Lindsey said...

OMG I think I might still have my hypercolor t-shirt. I'm at my parents's house now so I'll have to look for it. Oooh i hope I still have it! What is wrong with Nick??? I now have my doubts about him...


Blogger Dawnie said...

Dude, you need to get him a hypercolor shirt from someplace. Kid needs to make up for lost time!

you definitely need to bring him up to speed on all counts!


Blogger JAMs Wife said...

I just got my husband to throw out his very old hypercolor shirt last year!


Blogger Isabel said...

I think the hypercolor company was out here in Seattle, so my husband knows all about them. Alas, I never owned any...but I wanted to!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a whole stack of hypercolour shirts when I was little. And I am younger than Nick, AND live in Australia - where has he been!

Post a Comment

<< Home