8.21.2007

How can one person be so lucky?


That would be another jury duty application for yours truly. I freaked out about the first one just a few months ago. The stress might have even caused me to become a bit loopy, if you will. Turns out it was a false alarm, because I called in to the jury duty hotline on my scheduled date and found out my number was not selected. Whew. I figured I'd be in the clear for, oh, I don't know, maybe another decade?

Well it's only been about five months, and here we go again, this time for the federal grand jury. I guess the application doesn't really mean that I'm going to be called, but it's still unsettling. I'm a big weenie and jury duty downright scares me.

First off, do they know I can't even decide between cheddar and four-cheese frozen food items? We're really only talking about a difference of three cheeses here. What happens when I have to decide if someone is guilty or not? I have a hunch that the judge would frown on the jury members making their decisions based on rock paper scissors.

And secondly, why not pick Nick? In theory, Nick would be the one flailing his arms, screaming, "Pick me, pick me!" while I'm huddled in the corner trying to blend into the paint color. Take Nick. He wants you. Seriously.

And thirdly, do you think it's too late to become an active-duty soldier, volunteer firefighter, lawyer, felon or 70-year-old non-English-speaking woman?

8 Comments:


Blogger Katelin said...

oh man. i hate hate hate jury duty. i definitely feel for you. i had the jury duty experience from hell last year, that i can only now laugh about.

i wish you the best of luck in jury world and hope it is much better in kansas city that it is in los angeles.

fingers crossed!


Blogger Janet said...

okay you are so not going to believe this, but I GOT CALLED AGAIN TOO! Didn't we have it at the same time last time? Mine is for another federal case! I sent in my thing saying I served my time for the next two years - can you try the same thing?


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've served on two juries and been called twice more (I had to write in to remind them that 1. I no longer live in NJ, and 2. I JUST SERVED SIX MONTHS AGO). Joel has never been called. It's not fair.


Blogger carrisa said...

I guess once you are in the system, they don't forget you. I have thankfully never been called in. But you know... you can always just tell them that you are racist. I think that gets you out of it. Just a guess.


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

Wouldn't it be a fluke if the case was indeed about cheese?


Blogger L Sass said...

I have been living in NYC for 4 years and I HAVE NEVER BEEN CALLED. Everyone I know has been called! I cannot believe how long I have dodged this bullet.


Blogger Abbie said...

Never been called to jury duty either, but then again I don't tell them when I move. Yikes!


Blogger Lindsey said...

Jury duty scares me too. What if you are listening to the trial and you have to pee?? I mean, can you just get up and excuse yourself? I'm a freak, I know.

Post a Comment

<< Home