8.13.2007

Clinton and Stacy would hate me
I've been doing a bunch of freelance work lately, and so with my last set of profits instead of being responsible and saving it, Nick promised I could use it however I want.

Now we don't tend to go shopping very often, unless it's for something like groceries or robot parts. I only buy a new clothing item maybe once every three or four months, so my side of the closet was feeling rather drab. With my newfound, unrestricted chunk of money, I suddenly had the world at my fingertips.

What did I want? What would I buy? I'm not one for impulse buys, so I started by doing some thorough online browsing. And by thorough, I mean I went online and looked at every clothing, shoe, makeup and accessory item of every store within the particular mall we were going to. I saved pictures of the things I wanted and put them into a document along with their prices.

I pored and pored over that document, arranging and rearranging, adding and subtracting, until I had a fairly good game plan. I think we all know that things online aren't always as great in person though, and vice versa, so before any purchases could be made, I wanted to go and scout all of the stores out first.

Halfway through our scouting, I could tell Nick's patience was already wearing thin. The food court and some hat and sports stores served the purpose of convincing him that shopping wasn't so bad after all.

Once he was re-energized, it was back to the game plan. We were wasting precious scouting and shopping minutes, you know. Four hours and many hundred dollars later, I was the proud new owner of a tired husband, two new pairs of jeans and five assorted shirts, all meticulously considered for color, fit, price and style. And then cross-checked against my mental list of online shopping selections to make sure that I didn't like anything better than them.

We made it home and I went online to do some more damage here, and to top things off, went to Target to buy a new blow dryer. And can you believe I went into Target, knowing that I only needed this one thing, and came out victorious with only that one thing? That never happens, but I guess I was up against a fairly strict shopping strategy this time.

Anyway, I can now understand how people on this show freak out all the time when forced to spend all their shopping money within a short two-day span. I would be a mess too if I had to make all those impulse buys, especially without the aid of bar charts and comparative summaries.

9 Comments:


Blogger Lindsey said...

I want to see pictures of all of your news clothes! You are a much more meticulous shopper than me, but when I have a specific amount to spend that I got for a gift or something like that, I am much more picky and I weigh the options much more heavily.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's too funny. But, at least even if it did take a long time and a lot of research, you won't get home and then decide to return something.
That's what I do. hehe. I call it unshopping.


Blogger carrisa said...

yes a fashion show would be lovely.

I want to see what your many hundreds of dollars got you.

Oh and I love that show WNTW. I don't think I'd have any problem spending it at all. I can see me spending about 3 grand in Lane Bryant. $500 at Shoe Carnival. $500 at Sephora or Ulta (our version of Sephora) and 1 grand at the Coach store. Yep... that sounds about right.

Although I can say that I do not dress bad enough to be on that show. Such a shame.


Blogger thethinker said...

It's impossible for me to come out of a Target without more items than I originally intended to buy.


Blogger L Sass said...

I think that is an amazing feat. I shop a *tad* more than you do, but I tend to plan my purchases in 3-4 month increments. I really do try to look at my wardrobe each season and get investment pieces. Otherwise I'll end up with tons of cutsey $20 tops from H&M instead of, say, the pair of slacks I really need.


Blogger Unknown said...

Seriously, where are the pics?!? And personally, I would be very interested in taking a glance at your charts and graphs and comparative notes... ya know, for research purposes. :o)

xox


Blogger Abbie said...

I love coming across witty bloggers....just so you know- and I don't have to tell you for obvious reasons- you are on my "people I'm secretly stalking" list. I can be courteous sometimes and let the people I'm stalking know they are being stalked- again being courteous and respectful and all.

Great Blog!


Blogger Katelin said...

Haha, I can never leave Target with one thing. It's always more. You are quite the organized shopper.


Blogger Isabel said...

Yes, pictures please.

I am a die hard fan of Stacy and Clinton.

Ken tried to get me to my own version of WNTW this last weekend, as an anniversary present. Let's just say I returned everything the next day.

I don't care how good it looks, I don't need a $120 shirt. Ever.

So I totally understand how the people on WNTW freak!

Post a Comment

<< Home