8.08.2007

Shucks, what's flipping wrong with me?
I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I've come to the conclusion that there must be a glitch in my DNA or something, because I just can't bring myself to swear. I don't think it's because I'm uptight or anything, because it most certainly doesn't bother me when other people do it. Most likely I wouldn't even notice. I also don't really care when it's in a movie I'm watching or in a song I'm listening to, although sometimes when I'm singing along in the car, I will substitute cleaner words and make Nick laugh.

I have no idea what the reason for my pure, angelic voice is, but I don't necessarily believe that it's a moral thing. You can rest easy tonight because I don't possess the belief that by uttering one little curse word, a person would suddenly be doomed to burn in the depths of hell. It just doesn’t work like that.

For some reason though, I simply can't bring myself to swear, whether it's in my writing or speaking. I guess I should thank my parents for this, but growing up and even today, it feels so out of character for me to curse. It would be totally forced and awkward coming out of me.

The sad thing is, my avoidance of it is so obvious that people around me are aware. I hate it when someone will ask me to repeat a curse word, just because it's hilarious to hear it come out of my mouth. It makes me feel so immature, like I'm someone's little sister being told to repeat words that I don't know the meaning of.

Or what I hate even more than that? When people are having a normal conversation and a word or two slips, and then they immediately apologize in my direction like my poor little sensitive ears must be burning.

Whenever this happens, I want to explain how that's not it at all, that I don't care, that I'm not immature and that I'm not trying to be all holier-than-thou.

Daggum it all to heck, I'm just being myself, my quirky, non-swearing self.

5 Comments:


Blogger Lindsey said...

In my ripe old age of 25, I have found that I don't like listening to songs with too many bad words. I once said "I like country music because it's just more family friendly and there are no curse words." LOL And I am SOOO not a holier than thou type of person either. I occasionally swear, but not very often. I totally understand where you are coming from...it just doesn't sound right coming from my mouth...the bad, but not horrible words don't sound too weird, but the really bad ones...they sound like I'm trying to be bad ass (LOLOL how ironic) but I'm totally not.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had a million people say to me "You never swear". I guess I just don't really feel a need to have swear words as part of an everyday conversation. The one time I do swear is when playing video games, when I get a little worked up about making sure Mario makes that jump...


Blogger L Sass said...

I think it's admirable! I find myself swearing all the time and I think, "Did you need to use that word?" It's not a moral thing, I just love language and using a stupid swear word seems so cheap and unimaginative sometimes. I don't know when it got to be such a habit for me.


Blogger Unknown said...

I think this is a completely charming aspect of your personality, actaully. And it doesn't make you "holier than thou" or anything like that - it just makes you you. :o)

xox


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have that mindframe.. I got all freaked out when I realised that I would throw the occassional swear word into random conversations (not with the kidlets though, no matter how tempted I was!)

I even have a swear jar..

Post a Comment

<< Home