5.22.2007

Nick's a freak, part 2
Yesterday after I did the colorblind post, I made Nick read it and compare the two photos. I wanted to know if he could see any difference between the original photo and the one that had been put through the simulator, since I really wasn't sure if the simulator was accurate.

He didn't read the little captions below each photo at first, and he actually asked me which one was the original one because they both looked the same to him. He said the one on the right looked a little more dull or dingy, but he really couldn't tell much difference. I guess this means I have scientifically confirmed his extreme level of freakitude.

Now while we are still on the topic of colorblindness, I thought you might find it interesting that Nick didn't know he was colorblind until he was in middle school. I believe the story is that he was in a science class where they were making atoms out of colored marshmallows. The first step was to sort the marshmallows into different piles, a task at which he failed miserably. That moment was the first time he discovered his impairment.

I couldn't believe that he lived 13 or 14 years of his life without knowing he was colorblind. When I learned this, I think one of my first questions was how he colored with crayons when he was little. How could he do this and not at some point figure out that he was colorblind?

And the answer? He thought all of the kids read the names of the colors on the sides. Makes sense I guess.

6 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is color blind too, he learned ways to adapt too. I think he was 12 or 13 when he was finally diagnosed too. When he was in college he would only buy gray clothes so he didnt have to worry about matching anything. I have to pick out his clothes now. I cant wait to get home and show him the simulator pictures!


Blogger L Sass said...

But what do you do before you can read the color names???


Blogger L Sass said...

I guess no one questions it when a tiny kid who can't read draws a person with blue hair, though.


Blogger Unknown said...

That's classic. Can you imagine every 5 year old carefully checking the wrapper to know whether this is green or red or blue? Funny stuff!

xox


Blogger Unknown said...

That is fascinating! My best friend's fiance is colorblind. I'm so forwarding her your posts.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

demery = my real name, btw. shhh!

Post a Comment

<< Home