5.21.2007

Nick's a freak.


Nick is colorblind, like many of his brothers, and since I've known him I've always been quite fascinated by it. For me, color has always played such an important part of my life. It's a part of my passion and a part of my livelihood (and yes, I know there are colorblind graphic designers out there). I just can't imagine not seeing the world the way I'm accustomed to seeing it now.

And then I met Nick. I know he doesn't see things in the same way I do, and it's quite a challenge to remind myself of that sometimes. I know he gets red and green confused, but I always wonder if he sees red as green or if he sees green as red. To him, is grass really red and that just seems normal?

He gets green and brown confused, he mixes up yellow and orange sometimes, and purple and blue seem to be a lot the same. Even though I know that, I always wonder what EXACTLY those colors look like to him. I constantly quiz him about what colors things look like. I guess I think that I'll understand him better, that I'll learn to translate what I see into what he sees. Of course that never works because to him, his red is red, his green is green, and he can't fathom what my red or my green look like anymore than I know what his looks like. It's just impossible to compare.

I found this website a few days ago though. You upload a photo and it simulates what a colorblind person sees. Immediately after I tried the first photo, I got a sinking, almost sick, feeling inside. I couldn't believe how different things look through Nick's eyes because I've always imagined it much more similar to what I see. I'm addicted to this site now. I keep uploading more and more photos, trying to understand what Nick sees, and each time I'm just floored.

Check it out, and if you're a nerd like me, you might enjoy reading more about colorblindness here.

11 Comments:


Blogger Lara said...

wow, i know what i'm going to be doing all day tomorrow...

that's so fascinating to me. i don't have anyone close to me who's colorblind, but it's still really interesting to think about.


Blogger Janet said...

my officemate is colorblind so I am always asking him about what he sees too. I will have to show him this website for sure. thanks!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great link. I actually know a lot of people who are colorblind but I never thought much about it.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really fascinating! I never realised what being colourblind actually meant...

And you cow! You look hot in both versions. :P


Blogger littlemissy555 said...

Really great link...I never knew how colorblind people actually perceived color. It's very interesting.


Blogger L Sass said...

That is so cool! Like most of your commenters, I had no idea!

I don't think you look like an alien to Nick, though! :)


Blogger Isabel said...

I've always found this to be interesting. Some of my coworkers are colorblind and I always quiz them too.


Blogger Unknown said...

You are so not an alien!

Also, fascinating stuff! I'm off to read more (nerd alert! nerd alert!)

xox


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I can't wait to check out that link. My dad is colorblind and it always fascinated me. He really sucked at playing Uno, I'll tell you that.


Blogger Trish Ryan said...

My brother-in-law is color blind. My mom forgot this one Christmas and gave him a Rubik's cube as a stocking stuffer. Thank God he has a good sense of humor :)


Blogger carrisa said...

Oh man... a Rubik's Cube as a gift... yeah you would need a sense of humor for that one. Such a neat site. I thought my husband (a graphic designer) might be colorblind because he swears the headboard on the round bed is green when I know in my heart that it is a charcoal gray. But since that's the only color we disagree on... it's probably safe to say he's not colorblind... he's just wrong.

Post a Comment

<< Home