11.26.2007

A house divided
Nick and I have a favorite holiday tradition where we drive around and critique Christmas light displays around the neighborhood. We get a little silly when we do this, I must admit, coming up with codewords for particular infractions and offenses, just like we're on our favorite show COPS, Holiday Light Display Edition.

When we're out doing this, we tune into the local cheesy Christmas radio station and conduct sing-alongs in between light display offenders. We recently heard Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on the radio.

This is where things start to get a little tense with us.

One of us has always finished the "will go down in history" line with "like George Washington" and the other is adamant that the correct lyrics are "like Abe Lincoln." Neither of us will yield our stance on this important issue and decided once and for all to turn to you, dear readers, for a vote.

So which is it? I won't say which of us is on the Washington side and which of us sides with Lincoln since we expect this to be fair and unbiased, but I must say that I'm not the least bit worried after my counterpart's recent cocktail bell revelation.

24 Comments:

it's totally George Washington!

hands. down. :)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.


Blogger Aimee said...

Crap! I am no help. We say, "Like Columbus!"

Sorry!

and um, both george washington and abe linconln are WAY TOO LONG.

Maybe you guys could compromise and do like, "you'll go down in history - like OJ"
or something. hee.


Blogger carrisa said...

yeah I also say Columbus.

Like Columbus! just rolls off the tongue better than the others.

So you're both wrong!

haha


Anonymous Anonymous said...

like George Washington!


Blogger L Sass said...

I said Columbus, too.

Those "response lines" were always a big issue in our elementary school holiday sing along. We required to sing it without the wisecracks one time before we could start inserting "like a light bulb."


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I never said anything after "go down in history" ... but my husband and I still have bitter, irrational arguments about whether the reindeer games were football or Monopoly; and if they called Rudolph Pinocchio or Funny Face.

I am putting a line in the sand that the responses are Monopoly and Pinocchio. The end. :)


Blogger Candace said...

Neither of you are correct, it is actually Columbus. And I know this is 100% true because my 1st grade teacher told me so.


Blogger Katelin said...

I think its Columbus too actually, but I could be so wrong. I really have no idea.

But I do enjoy the fact that you go around singing songs and critiquing lights together, so cute. :)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

We say "Like Shakespeare!" :) Sorry, no help to the both of you !


Blogger Dawnie said...

George Washington, totally


Blogger B said...

It's George Washington!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally George Washington!


Blogger Janet said...

Wow Lincoln is totally losing...and I am not helping by voting "George Washington!"


Blogger Ginger said...

George gets my vote


Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 100% George Washington. I've never heard of "like Abe Lincoln" or "like Columbus".


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of either coming after "you'll go down in history"....!!!


Blogger Nick said...

I have heard, "like Abe Lincoln" before. My vote is for Honest Abe.

From,
Someone other than your husband.


Blogger Nick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

I've always heard and said "like Columbus."


Blogger littlemissy555 said...

George Washington is what we always say, but I've heard Columbus too. GW all the way ;0p


Blogger Aimee said...

this is a funny comments section - and RA it's totally monopoly and pinnochio. We're totally in sync. haha. Good luck Angela! I hope that you picked GW. lol


Blogger Valley Girl said...

I'm not sure, but that's wonderful that you guys have a tradition like that.


Blogger Unknown said...

So, I heard a rumor that Rudolph was invented by Montgomery Ward as a marketing stunt... your thoughts?

xox

Post a Comment

<< Home