11.18.2007

He had me at "orthotic support insoles."
Because it was our anniversary a couple weeks ago, the subject of gifts and gift-giving crossed my mind. Nick is really good about gifts nowadays, which I'd say is mostly because we are at the stage in our relationship where I tell him precisely what I want, sometimes sending him a direct link along with the coordinating price, size, color and style information.

Give me a few years and I'll probably place the order myself and send him an invoice.

Back when we were first dating, this streamlined gift-giving procedure wasn't always the case. If I remember correctly, the very first gift I ever received from Nick was a pack of Dr. Scholl's foot inserts. Yep, you read that correctly.

Nick went to Wal-Mart one day while I was at class or work. He was probably there getting groceries or something boring, and found himself in the foot support aisle, which is easily even more boring than groceries. And you guessed it, in his cart went a pair of women's size 6-10 Dr. Scholl's, a little something special for your special someone.

The next time I saw him, he was holding my surprise behind his back, being all sly and suave. I wasn't sure what to expect. Maybe chocolate? Or movie tickets? I can tell you I most definitely wasn't expecting shoe insoles.

To be quite honest though, once I got over the shock of being on the receiving end of an orthotic support system, I was kind of flattered. I actually thought it was really sweet, because he had remembered me telling him about an old knee injury that acts up every once in a while, and apparently these magical (and might I add incredibly romantic) inserts were guaranteed to cure knee aches and pains.

So anyway, that is how I ended up walking all over campus with the insoles of an 80-year-old elderly woman, smiling with every step.

What’s the weirdest gift you've ever received?

11 Comments:


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

Nothing says love like insoles!


Blogger karmicbaloney said...

Aww, that's so sweet and thoughtful. Weird, yes, but definitely thoughtful. :)

I haven't received any weird gifts lately, but I remember a friend once received pepper spray as a gift from her boyfriend. She mentioned how she was scared when she had to walk to and from her car for a night class.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cute. I can't think of any wierd gifts that I've gotten. Joel is exceptional at gift-giving (I suck at it) and my family has pretty much sworn off gifts for each other because we couldn't take the holiday insanity.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't think of any weird gifts, I have received lately. My aunt always gives really hideous gifts though, usually clothing. It's kind of to the point where you are like, OMG she should have just saved her money and bought me nothing!

hilarious! guys are funny like that. though it really was a thoughtful gift.

i don't think i have anything to top that... i'll ponder it.


Blogger Katelin said...

That's so funny, and very thoughtful at the same time. Boys are so funny sometimes. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything to top that just yet, but I'll think about it.


Blogger L Sass said...

That is hilarious and sweet in a slightly weird way!

When we were first dating, I had broken the stylus to my palm pilot and was just using the unbroken end to operate it. AS ordered me a set of new styli for my birthday!! I think it just drove HIM nuts that I was persisting in using the broken stylus.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH that's so sweet. I love it. Hmmm, weirdest gift I ever received? I'm not sure this is THEE weirdest, but one of my girlfriends gave me the movie "The Secretary" which I knew nothing about, but she told me she saw it and "thought of me." So, I'm all, great! Let's pop it in after dinner with this couple we met and are trying to be friends with...yeah, the movie's all dark and about S&M and of course, I had already told them that my friend gave this to me because it's "SOOOOO me!" That was awkward! They still bring it up...


Anonymous Anonymous said...

A peg... from my Dad.


Blogger Lindsey said...

That is so weird and yet strangely adorable!

I can't really think of the weirdest gift I've received from Edgar, but my best guy friend from high school went to New Orleans and brought me back an alligator head. Like a real one. It was really small like a baby. It was so strange.


Blogger Aimee said...

Awwww. That's so cute!

Post a Comment

<< Home