7.27.2007

Cocktail bells
Yesterday morning when we were getting ready for work, I told Nick that he looked dashing. And then without missing a beat and without even looking at each other, we both simultaneously broke out into singing Jingle Bells. We started at the "Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh" part, and it took off from there.

But you see, singing rather off-key Christmas carols in July while we're getting ready in the morning isn't the weird part of the story. We got to the "Bells on bob tails ring" verse and then it all went south. Apparently, Nick has always thought the words were "Bells on cocktails ring."

Now I don't claim to know exactly what bob tails are or how bells are attached or even for what purpose, but I found his version of the lyrics completely hilarious. Like these people are sitting on this sleigh being pulled by a horse, all bundled up for winter in their coats and gloves, and all the while they're tossing back a couple of dainty cosmopolitans.

And where do the cocktail bells come into the picture, dare I ask? Perhaps you ring them when you need a refill?

Somehow it all makes sense to Nick, and he's still having trouble believing me when I tell him it's really bob tails.

5 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this, THIS is why I like you so much, Angela!! :P

Poor Nick and his cocktails.. I suppose it makes a much cheerier Christmas than bobtails. And what ARE bobtails? Yikes. Perhaps we should Google it.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Bobtail is the name of the horse pulling the sleigh. Don't ask me how I know these things.


Blogger Lindsey said...

Cocktails sure would make for a more interesting Christmas! Drunk sleigh rides. AWESOME!


Blogger Jonathon Morgan said...

ha! that's hysterical. i totally thought it was "bells on cocktails ring" before i read this


Blogger littlemissy555 said...

If I'm not mistaken (which is entirely possible) I think bob tail is a reference to cutting the horses tails (the hair) short or bobbing them...thus attaching bells so they jingle when the horse trots or swishes it's tail....I think ;0/ Either that or they are just referring to the fact that the horse's tail is bobbed and there are bells on the yoke

Post a Comment

<< Home