10.26.2007

Worst texter ever.
Nick and I were discussing text messages the other day, because his phone mysteriously won’t accept any but mine will. We share a plan and have always had texting capabilities in the past. Sometimes his friends will text him something and think he’s snubbing them when he doesn’t call or text back. And if he’s expecting a call from someone and gets a text instead, then he thinks they’ve forgotten about him. It’s a rough situation we’ve got on our hands.

It was during this conversation that I said I’m probably the worst texter ever. I should probably revoke my texting capabilities and give them to Nick, because he deserves them more than I.

And why am I the worst texter? Because I can’t write in text-speak.

I just can’t bring myself to abbreviate words with letters or to not capitalize or punctuate. I think it’s encoded on my DNA or something that I have to write things out. It might be "TTYL" to an official texter, like a 14-year-old teenage girl who sends 3,000 text messages per month. But to me, I’m toiling away over my tiny little buttons writing out "Talk to you later!" like a big dork. I even add in commas and apostrophes where appropriate. One simple text could take upwards of five minutes if I’m not careful, particularly since I’m using a regular phone, not some fancy schmancy Blackberry with a full keypad.

I don’t have to tell you that this really isn’t an efficient use of time. Which is why I maybe send one lengthy, nerdy text per month, if that. I actually imagine my friends save them in their phones so that they can turn around and show them to other people, like I’m some sort of freak show. Look, it has capitalization! Check out how this word is all written out. And periods – have you ever seen periods in a text message?

So tell me, am I the only one like this? I have to imagine that I’m not alone in this, right?

Anyway, gotta run. CUL8R PPL.

11 Comments:


Blogger carrisa said...

You aren't alone. My husband doesn't text at all. He can't figure out how to do it. He knows how to read them, but not write back. He's a lost cause.

Me, on the other hand, I have a T-Mobile Sidekick with full keyboard. I'm a texting fool. I would rather text than talk any day of the week.


Blogger L Sass said...

I capitalize and don't abbreviate in texting, too. I can't help myself!! It doesn't take THAT much longer to make correct sentences, and all the abbreviations make my head spin.


Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I can't write or send texts without punctuation, capitalization or appropriate words. I can't do the "r" for are, or "u" for you, or anything like that. It drives me crazy.

xox


Blogger Katelin said...

you are definitely not the only one! i pretty much refuse to use 'ttyl' 'c u' and all that jazz, the only thing i ever use is 'haha' because i do it all the time. so no you're not a bad texter, just a slow one probably...like myself, haha.


Blogger Janet said...

I am anti texting because I don't like wasting 15 cents!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only text because I get free ones in my prepaid kit. And I can't bring myself to "talk in text". I just write normally, which takes up more space and probably puts me in the minority of texters.


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

You're definitely not alone. I can't do it either. It makes me feel old and unhip.


Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

I absolutely can't stand to use text speak. It makes the English major in me weep and twitch.


Blogger Dawnie said...

I text on a fairly regular basis, but it's always in complete sentences and full words. Text speak makes me twitchy.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I text so much I have had cramps in my hand, ut I hate text speak. So poxy.

I love the new look of your site, sorry if it took me so long to notice.... bloglines!

i abbreviate once in awhile but i do find myself capitalizing where appropriate and adding commas and apostrophes. but i hate texting for the simple fact that people would rather text entire conversations than talk to each other! i hate that.

Post a Comment

<< Home