8.30.2007

"The Claw" Champion of the World
While most of us were stuck at the office working yesterday, Nick got to spend his day at Dave & Buster's, on his company's dime of course. It was some sort of reward or team outing that involved a delicious lunch, plus $40 game cards for each person. It was strongly advised that they use all of their money that day, rather than keeping their cards to use at a later time.

In case you didn't know, $40 is a lot to have to spend in one afternoon there. We went there together one night a long time ago, and it took us hours upon hours to spend a $20 card between the two of us.

It was nearing the end of his day, and with plenty of money left on his card, Nick decided to unload it in the claw machine. I think you know the type of game I'm talking about here, where you control the claw with your joystick and attempt to pick up crappy stuffed toys. Those money-suckers prey on hopeful children all over this great land. (And apparently also hopeful husbands who wish to show off their incredible understanding of spacial relationships and brute finger dexterity.)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone win anything out of those. And believe me, I'm hanging around shady arcades and Wal-Mart entrances ALL THE TIME, people. I'm pretty sure they are humanly impossible.

Last night Nick came home with all this loot though:



No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. That's one-half of a full pair of patriotic fuzzy dice, two Royals bears with miniature baseball bats attached to their paws, a Chiefs bear in a stylish hoodie, two stuffed Royals baseballs, three pleather hockey skates and a stuffed cow, thrown in for good measure. He also gave away a third stuffed Royals bear and a stuffed pig to some very lucky person or persons.

I don't know what his deal was, but he was obviously on a roll. He said people even gathered around him and chanted his name while he worked his magic. All I can say is that I only wish I could have been there to witness his bright, shining moment, doing what I'm sure would make any wife beam with great honor and admiration.

(And I think we're going to put them all in the back window of our car and drive them around proudly. What do you think?)

14 Comments:


Blogger L Sass said...

My high school boyfriend was a master of the claw game and used to present me with garbage bags full of stuffed animals from the machine. The stuff Nick got looks 1000 times nicer than the crap he used to bring me.


Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness. I've won a toy a couple times in my life, but I've never seen anything like this! I can't believe it!!! You must be so proud.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is a lot of stuffed toys! My hubby also loves the claw game, although I generally only let him play until he gets one bear. But I guess if work is paying for it why not.


Blogger Lara said...

i think the image of a group of people all standing around a claw machine chanting someone's name is totally hilarious. so thanks for that. ;)


Blogger Chris Cactus said...

Wow. That's a good haul. I'm especially impressed with the fuzzy di.


Blogger Katelin said...

haha. that's amazing. i don't think i've ever seen anyone get more than two from those things.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about stuffed animals in car windows... but THIS, this he may need to show off. Or may I suggest you use them as holiday gifts for those family members whose gift selections for you are always less than stellar? Not that these aren't fabulous items...

hahaha.
boys and their toys.
great blog by the way! :)


Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

OH MAN, I used to LOVE the claw machine. Back in high school, I was really good at it, too! Thanks for bringing back the memories :D


Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

PSST, I heard it's your birthday! Happy birthday! :D


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am cranky with my bloglines... it hasn't been telling me you were updating! I thought you were just busy, but turns out you've been here all along. *sniff*

Anyway, I think you should send me the teddies. Because they're cute. Good loot, though! ;)


Blogger Nap Queen said...

Dang, I though FOR SURE those were a total scam. Huh. Your husband has some claw skillllz!


Blogger Trish Ryan said...

And some people wait their whole lives to find their true calling...

:)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.. this brings back memories.
My dad's sister came over to Brisbane about 5 years ago now, and my uncle kept sneaking me coins to go and play the claw machine at their resort. I came away with about 12 stuffed dogs one day... and my parents wondered where I got the money from! Good times, good times!

Post a Comment

<< Home