4.06.2007

Affordable but not stylish
Yesterday when I was driving home from work, I stopped at a red light and looked around to pass the time. Almost immediately, someone walking down the sidewalk caught my eye. She completely consumed my attention because she was wearing a black trash bag.

I'm not talking about some sort of ugly jacket that looked like a trash bag. I studied it the whole time I was at this light, and it was definitely a trash bag. She had a hole cut for her head and two holes cut for her arms, and she was wearing it like a shirt.

Now I'm sure I've worn my fair share of trash bags in my day, but all of those times I was before the age of eight and it was only on Halloween.

If it were raining, or there was a chance of rain, I could maybe almost understand where this woman was coming from. Perhaps she didn’t have an umbrella or a rain coat. But it wasn’t raining and hadn’t rained all day. So I guess it was either used as some sort of emergency wind-breaker or it’s a great fashion statement that I haven’t been enlightened to as of yet.

Perhaps if she would have cinched it with a belt or something, then she would have fared better.

10 Comments:


Blogger Lara said...

wow, that's amazing. you actually saw someone wearing a trash bag. i'm not sure i would have been able to safely drive after that kind of heinous crime against fashion.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trashbags are the new pink, yo.

I think somewhere around the internet is a picture of Victoria Beckham wearing a trashbag look-alike (with a belt! you fashion guru, you!).

New trend.

Wonder if they come in XL.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plastic is never a good look.

Perhaps it is a fetish and she likes that chafing sensation under her armpits.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my... I wish you had a snapshot. That is hilarious... Maybe it was homage to Missy Elliot.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe trying to lose water weight for a weigh in? Did she look like a prize fighter?


Blogger L Sass said...

Maybe it was national raisin appreciation day?


Blogger Unknown said...

Haha! This is hilarious to think about! Perhaps it's the economic version of black patent leather... that you don't have to dry clean... although I do agree, a belt would have made it much more chic.

xox


Blogger Isabel said...

When I was reading this, I was all "it must have been raining" and I didn't think it was that odd. But then you said it wasn't raining and then I was just confused.

A trash bag? Not pretty.


Blogger Nick said...

I could see myself having this conversation...
ME: (sifting through my clothes)"Honey, did you fold my trash bag last night? I can't seem to find it."
ANG: (calling up from downstairs) “I used it to empty the bathroom trash. I will grab you one and bring it up."


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trash Bag? Why didn't I think of that this morning when I had nothing to wear?!

Post a Comment

<< Home