4.24.2007

It's a big world
I've made it through two very long and exhausting shoot days, and I'm happy to report that I survived. I'm relieved that it's over and went so well, and I'm also very thankful for the amazing experience that it was. I've done shoots before, but this one was different.

I'm sure everyone has an idea of how petty the advertising industry can be. I mean, shoots can cost millions of dollars, all for a short 30-second spot. We spend hours upon hours slaving over a print ad or a direct mail piece or a television spot, treasuring it like it's our own creative child that needs protection. We send it out into the world, and does anyone even really notice it? Does anyone even WANT to see it? Does it really do anyone any good, besides making a client more profit? I don't mean to sound cynical, because I really do love my job, but sometimes at the end of the day I'm left wondering what impact I'm actually having with my livelihood.

The reason that this shoot is different than all the others is because it was a pro bono project for a very worthwhile client. I know that the time and effort I devote to this project will do a lot of good for a very long time. I know that my contributions mean something to this organization, and hopefully in time will have a ripple effect on many other people in our community and in communities across the country.

Aside from that, this shoot caused me to take a step back and see the real issues out there, and none of them involve what font complements a particular look and feel, or what color scheme conveys a certain concept. No one out there is upset when a creative idea gets watered down, or when a logo has to be bigger.

This project had us traveling all over Kansas City, delving into the trenches at many non-profits. We met so many lovely people devoting their lives to really making a difference, and we met the people whose lives depended on those very services. This was an incredibly humbling experience, I must say, because I often complain about such ridiculous things. However, I've never had to worry about where my next meal was coming from. I've never spent any time at a homeless shelter. Growing up, I never had to wonder if my parents would show up to pick me up from daycare. I never had to go to school in order to find a nice, quiet place to sleep, or to get my breakfast or lunch. I never missed a night of sleep because rats were running all over me. I've never even known how big of a problem these things were because I live each day in my tiny little frivolous bubble.

I'm so thankful that this project was sent my way and that I've learned so much. I'm also very thankful that I get to help tell this story for years to come through a very personal and moving video. And I'm especially thankful that I reside on this side of the camera rather than the other side. I am so very blessed.

10 Comments:


Blogger alana said...

That's so awesome, Angela. And you're totally right - it's so easy to get caught up in worrying about insignificant things when the reality is that we should actually be spending that time being grateful for things instead.

I will try to keep that in mind through the next few days of stress and aggravation. It could definitely be so much worse.


Blogger Lara said...

i think it's great that you're able to acknowledge the ways in which you are blessed. i'm glad you managed to survive the exhausting days, especially with such a positive attitude. :)


Blogger littlemissy555 said...

Angela, it sounds like you had a wonderful experience! I think it's great that it made you feel more blessed. That is always a nice thing to think about. I hope you get some rest and have a great rest of the week ;0)


Blogger Unknown said...

This actually gave me goosebumps! So I read it again, and more goosebumps!

Thank you for sharing this. It was beautiful.

xox


Blogger L Sass said...

As someone who works for a nonprofit, I hope you know how much your pro bono efforts mean to us. Every cent that we don't have to spend on professional services helps us serve the people who need it most. It's so great of you to volunteer your talents.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an incredible experience! It made me realize that I need to start appreciating the things I have. I take far too much for granted. Thanks!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. You have more of an impact than you think you do.

I'm so glad all the hard work and long hours resulted in such a fantastic and important experience for you.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awesome that you feel like your hard work is helping make the world a better place. Someday, I hope to know what that feels like!

I pay a lot of attention to commercials. Sometimes I can't believe that they made it past middle management... and sometimes I marvel at the genius of whoever created them. Other times, I cry. Like the SPCA commercial set to Sarah McLaughlin? Tears. Every time.


Blogger Lisa said...

This is a wonderful post, lady.

Wow. That sounds like it was a very insightful project. And well worth the energy and effort too!


Blogger Janet said...

great post. We should all take a step back and be thankful once in awhile...I know I don't do it enough!

Post a Comment

<< Home