3.20.2007

Vacant
I've mentioned before that I've done a few B&E's back in my old college days. (That's breaking and entering, for those of you who don't know.) These were purely for a photography class that a friend and I had, and we were each doing our final series on abandoned houses. Mine was specifically on doors and windows.

It was incredibly interesting to step into these old abandoned places (mostly homes but sometimes schools) and poke around into someone else's life. My heart would race, not only at the thought that I was trespassing, but also at the thought of possibly finding something sad or beautiful or broken to capture.

Here are some beautiful photographs of an abandoned school in Japan, via Coudal. The feeling I get from looking at these takes me back to the same feelings of amazement and curiosity that I felt all those years ago, setting off to explore whatever these empty shells housed inside.

If you have a little more time on your hands, you should look through the many photo galleries of this photographer. There are so many intriguing photos of abandoned hospitals, schools, jails. Each photo gallery makes me feel a little bit like I'm there walking through it myself, and what I wouldn't give to be able to. (Thanks to my B&E partner in crime, Jessica, for the link.)

2 Comments:


Blogger carrisa said...

boy have I got some junk for you. How does a four foot velvet matador painting sound? i'll give you the hookup.


Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Oooh! I have always always always wanted to do some abandoned-building photography. Alas, so far I've been way too chicken to actually do it. I may need to work on that this summer, though!

Post a Comment

<< Home