11.24.2006

Grammar police
Call me compulsive, but there are few things that annoy me more than unnecessary quote marks and apostrophes. I was delighted to see that there are flickr pools dedicated to the cause, and now I'm going to be on the lookout for signs I can add to the group. I think you should too. It's high time we rid the population of these blatant grammar faux pax, one terrible sign at a time.

I don't know about you, but I can't read anything inside of quotation marks without stressing those words somewhat sarcastically and also wanting to put my fingers up to make little hand quote marks, like this. Even if I'm just reading it quietly to myself.

This is one of my "favorite" examples of "quotation mark" abuse, a la Found Magazine. You can see "other" great quotation "disasters" at The "Quotation Mark" Abuse flickr pool.

Quotation mark abuse annoys me, but the overuse of apostrophes really gets under my skin. Don't people know that to make something plural, they just need to add an s? There's no need to make it posessive.

You can see more apostrophe catastrophes at the Grocer's Apostrophe Pool on flickr.

Heads up from Boing Boing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home